WEC is a licensee and organizer for TED events.
TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or less). TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment, and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages. Independently run TEDx events help share ideas in communities around the world.
Supported by the Hanover Insurance Group, in 2017 TEDx Worcester focused on the theme Nurturing, interpreted broadly, narrowly, metaphorically, and literally. Held at The Nativity School of Worcester, the evening event included:
- Be the You Your Younger Self Needed: Breaking Through Fear, presented by Dale Lepage, singer-songwriter of Dale Lepage and the Manhattans, host of New England PRIDE TV and WooTube.
- TED Talk Video: Michael Sandel: The Lost Art of Democratic Debate
- The View from the Mountaintop: The Vision of Martin Luther King in the Lives of Young Men, presented by Terry Shields, director of the Nativity Miguel Coalition which focuses on breaking the cycle of poverty through faith-based education.
- TED Talk Video: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The danger of a single story
- A Performance by Shenanigans! An improv and sketch comedy troupe from Clark University.
In 2017 WEC focused on trauma and learning, as a complement to our WorcesterHEARS work and the impact of childhood adversity on learning and the ways it may be addressed. Speakers included Dr. Maura Mahoney, manager of social and emotional learning for the Worcester Public Schools, Dr. Heather Forkey, chief of the division of child protection program of UMass Medical Center, a pediatrician who specializes in the protection and medical care of children in foster care of UMass Medical School.Dr. Forkey has great interest and experience in the well-being of children in substitute care, and children exposed to trauma. Here's a link to the video of her talk.
WEC also showed TED Talk videos by Rita Pierson and Nadine Burke-Harris.